If you are interested in becoming a medical assistant, you are onto something good. The medical assistant profession is rapidly expanding and demand is expected to keep on rising for a long time. Those who have been through certified training are in high demand so the chances of landing a job are excellent. Our whole site is dedicated to providing you with all the information you need to familiarize yourself with the medical assistant profession.
This is a job that pays well and we will start by taking a close look at the salary of medical assistants below:
Medical assistants were traditionally only handling jobs in the urgent care facilities, ambulatory care centers and clinics but are now finding jobs both in private as well as public hospitals and other in and out patient facilities. They actually form a very important part of the administrative staff in medical centers and function as support staff providing both clinical and administrative help to doctors and other healthcare professionals.
Equipped with a medical assistant certificate after completing high school, medical assistants are paid an average salary of $29,914 per year along with a host of other benefits and bonuses which include social security benefits amounting to $2.292, retirement benefits of about $1.138, healthcare benefits of about $6.507, disability benefits of $210 and pension and time-off benefits of $1.917 and $3.687 respectively. All this escalates the average annual salary to about $45.713.
The Current Medical Assistant Salary Situation
With an ever-growing need for medical assistants, the total wages offered are also showing an upward trend. As per the Medical Assisting Salary Survey 2011 conducted by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), only about 5% of full time medical assistants were paid annually while the rest of the 95% were paid hourly wages making them earn an average gross salary of $49,771 with about 16% earning $65,000 annually. The hourly wages are dependent on basically two factors:
- Years of experience: the greater the experience the greater is the hourly rate paid starting with a person having 0-2 years of working experience getting about $12.88 per hour and a person with 16 years plus experience getting about $17.58 per hour.
- CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) or not: generally the hourly rate paid to CMA’s is higher. The demand for Certified Medical Assistants is rising primarily due to the fact that poorly trained medical assistants might result in malpractice suits which all hospitals, private and public, go to great lengths to avoid.
Salary Differs From State To State
In general the Pacific states of The USA like California (also including Alaska and Hawaii) pay the highest annual salaries to medical assistants with the hourly rate averaging at about $16.85 and the annual salary at about $32,240. This is closely followed by West North Central States paying an average hourly rate of $15.53 and Middle Atlantic Region States paying an average annual salary of $30,256.
Medical assistants in The United States of America are the highest paid in the world. The top five highest paying states are California, District of Columbia, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Mexico.
Medical Assistant As A Career Option
With an increase in the demand of healthcare professionals, Certified Medical Assistants are very much in demand. With a basic medical assistant salary in the range of $24,000 to $33,000 and a booming healthcare industry curtsey the ever-growing and aging population in the country, today more and more people are opting or this profession. According to the statistics released by the Department of Labor, in the year 2008 there were about 84.000 medical assistants employed in The USA. With a growth prediction of 35% from the year 2006 to 2016, a period of 10 years, it is one of the most wanted careers among the youth of the country today.
Continue to learn more about the medical assistant profession. We recommend you start by gaining a deeper understanding of the job requirements and the certification progress. Check out the following pages:
- Medical Assistant Job Description
- Medical Assistant Training
- Medical Assistant Schools
- Medical Assistant Certification
- Medical Assistant Programs
- Online Medical Assistant Programs
- Medical Assistant Jobs
- Medical Assistant Resume
- Medical Assistant Duties
American Association of Medical Assistants – http://aama-ntl.org
Bureau of Labour Statistics – http://www.bls.gov